Pregnancy and Postnatal Massage – £45 (1 hr)
Pregnancy massage is a relaxing and safe way to relax and ease discomfort during pregnancy. We recommend you wait until you are more than 12 weeks to enjoy a massage and if you have had any complications, it is best to make sure you ask your doctor before you book your massage.
Pregnancy massage creates a combination of relaxation and stimulating messages to the receptors that prompts a woman’s body to effectively function during her pregnancy. Massage also improves energy levels and blood flow, which can increase haemoglobin levels and may help to prevent anaemia. Lymphatic drainage applied to the lower limbs can alleviate fluid build-up and assist with venous return, which can help to avoid varicose veins.
Pregnancy massage shares many of the benefits of regular massage but it is also tailored specifically to the needs of pregnant women and their changing bodies.
Carrying a baby inside you changes your centre of gravity and puts a lot of stress on your back, neck, abdominal muscles, and shoulders. Pregnancy also relaxes your ligaments, so that your pelvic joints are less stable, and changes your posture pulling your pelvis forward. Add to that the extra weight you’re carrying and you may find you’ve got an aching lower back.
Being in a comfortable position is important as this will enhance comfort and reduce any strain or tension on muscles whilst at the same time ensure that circulation is unhindered. We have various forms of additional support, such as cushions, bolsters, towels and specially designed foam pieces. This will help to accommodate the safe and comfortable positioning required throughout the pregnancy. Side-lying or seated positions avoid all these problems and are the preferred positions for back and pelvic massage. Massage can be enjoyed right up until the end of your pregnancy.
As with all treatments, a full consultation will be given so that we are aware of any problem areas or particular needs.
Having regular massages during pregnancy can help you to maintain good health, relieve you of stress and worry, and help ease you through your pregnancy.
Postnatal massage is also very beneficial and gives you time to relax and de-stress. It will stimulate circulation, increase blood flow, assist with any swelling by working with the lymphatic system and help with getting your body back into shape.
Pregnancy massage has been found to have a positive impact on:
- fibrosis, muscle spasms and cramps especially in the back and neck;
- muscle tone and imbalance;
- the stress on weight-bearing joints and musculofascial structures (sacro-iliac joint, lumber spine and mid-back);
- tension, fatigue and headache;
- nervous tension assisting with sleep problems, and possibly reducing blood pressure through relaxation and stress reduction;
- blood circulation, bringing more blood to tissue and placenta, thus providing greater nutrition to the tissues and enhanced waste production removal;
- blood and lymph circulation and the physiological process of gestation, by supporting the work of the heart, increasing cellular respiration and reducing oedema.
- problems associated with swelling, varicose veins and leg cramps;
- maintaining skin elasticity, easing stretch marks and uncomfortable tightness;
- management of digestive complaints such as constipation, gas, nausea and indigestion
- deeper, easier breathing